Monday 30 June 2008

Enjoy your flaws, being perfect ain't all it's cracked up to be

Perfection: that most elusive and addictive of qualities. Do you lie awake at night worrying whether you were flawless at work whilst using the accounting system? (I know my flatmate does) Or is your quest more about searching for Mr/Miss Right? Whatever it is, there are few of us who don't suffer from the curse of perfectionism.
I know I'm a hopeless case. My own very high standards at work have left me feeling somewhat inadequate, with a sense that I should be doing something more. And it nags at me. My friends tell me that I shouldn't worry about it so much but that's easier said than done. For many, this phenomenon is closely tied to achievement and success but remains at the heart of being truly creative.
The strive for perfection is always there - there's never any right answer or incontrovertible fact. It's why creative people are always insecure, I should know. Besides, Van Gogh cut his ear off, most of our great writers were addicts of one kind or another, the list goes on. But let me tell you, it almost pales into insignificance in the light of sporting expectations.
‘England Expects'. It expects, when it comes to every major international football tournament the team qualifies for - proof that they're not just a bunch of overpaid nancy boys. Losing creates an intense backlash of loss and scorn - mostly scorn - whilst winning causes ecstatic jubilation and suddenly the team are perfect. Of course, merely not being the best can get you labelled as boring and dismissed as not being worth watching.
Perfection is personal, too; it's taken me 10 years of relationships to finally be happy with what I have, even though it's not all joy and laughter. There is no such thing as the perfect man or woman and it's usually the flaws that make a the person who they are. I used to be riddled with worries and fears that my boyfriend wasn't doing this right or wasn't doing enough of that, but it really doesn't matter.
All of this is without considering the multi-million pound industry of beauty perfection, a whole topic in itself. Flaws are just nature's way, it makes life interesting. As Agent Smith in the Matrix said:“The perfect world was a dream that your primitive cerebrum kept trying to wake up from.”

1 comment:

Unknown said...

If everything is perfect, then the world would be a little less exciting place to live in, people would be a little less nice to be with and many other negatives would crop up...

Discrete dating site for those married , or in a relationship,
and looking for someone married or in a relationship.
www.marriedandlooking.co.uk